Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pastel, 12 x 15, Brooks AFB Post Office


The concept was to create a small memorial art work to this wonderful old Air Force Base.  One of the oldest buildings was the post office which probably dated from the 1930s.

This idea came as I talked to Adolph Trevino in our post office. He had worked there 7 years and knew the man who had worked there 40 years before him.  This was a very early pastel of mine on pastel paper.  I played with the colors.  I wanted the light of the sun to be spiritual, eternal.

I did finish the work, got Adolph to help me create a mat to frame it in that many people who were still at Brooks before it closed had a chance to sign.  I took it to the old postman who fortunately had moved nearby and I gave it to him myself.

Art is a bridge from the past into the future, sometimes harder to see when one is young.  It is abundantly clear as one gets older. 

No comments:

Post a Comment